Friday 3 July 2015

Hair Makeover - Ombre, Colour Investment Advice and Photos!

 I love a hair makeover – new colour, new cut – to signal the end or the start of something. I just finished up a work contract and I’m approaching more teaching, which I love. Rather than a new Porsche or a trip to Ibiza, I invested in my hair instead.
From dark brown with a bit of copper through the ends, I went ombre – or lighter at the ends with balayage technique. Because red is like a clingy boyfriend you just CAN’T GET RID OF, it took two appointments to tone up the light ends and get rid of the redness. Because hair appointments aren’t cheap and there’s so many options, I want to drill down to some haircare basics that will see your colour last and hopefully you can also see a big improvement in strength and softness.
1.    
   Olaplex: I had this treatment in-salon and also have the at-home conditioning treatment. It is a new system designed to protect colour, strengthen strands that have been highly processed, and create softness and shine. I definitely notice my hair feels softer and easier to style after I’ve used it. It’s early days still!

2.  Protein, silica and vitamins: Your hair is made up
of keratin protein. Just like your skin, muscle and nails it requires protein and essential vitamins, minerals and fatty acids to build and maintain lustre and strength. I eat lots of lean protein in the form of meat and fish, as well as taking a supergreens supplement every day for multivitamins and I also take a daily silica supplement. I definitely notice my nails get longer when I’m taking silica. By the way, the Q Silica spot gel is freaking amazing. If I need a spot gone overnight, it’s my new go-to.

3. Colour and damaged hair specific products: Depending on the shade of your hair, you may need a blue or red-based toner to maintain the colour.  I use the L’Oreal Vitamino range of shampoo, conditioner and also a new CC cream. Yes, CC cream for the hair! It is Color Corrector which means it ensures the integrity of your colour – no brassiness creeps in. Especially necessary if you are a swimming pool user...chlorine is NOT your friend. The range is available in salons, online or at Hairhouse Warehouse 

4. Non-damaging styling products: Remember the scrunchie? I learned how to sew them and use to pump out neon coloured scrunchies while watching Beverly Hills 90210. The following are absolutely mandatory for being gentle on fragile, post-colour hair.
  • Brushology Detangling Comb
  • Black Mini Scrunchies
  • Bobby Pins in Travel Case


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment!

Melbourne Lockdown 2.0 - what it's like and what it means

 Are lockdowns working? It undoubtedly works to reduce infections and yet, the impact on mental health right now and into the future is bein...