Monday 24 November 2014

The Law of Raw

 Firstly, let me remind you that I am not vegan, vegetarian, raw purist, paleo or any other strict dietary regime stickler! I firmly believe in wholefoods – veggies, fruit, legumes, meat, fish and dairy in moderation and prepared in a way that keeps them nutritionally intact and still super yummy.

There is no harm in borrowing divine recipes and techniques from vegans, vegetarians, raw foodies and pro-paleo though. Those people really know how to make the most of coconuts.
So! After being inspired by Jacqui’s recipe for Zucchini Pasta, I went on the hunt for my own vegetable spiralizer to recreate her masterpiece. A spiralizer turns your plain-jane vegetable into a source of noodles that, dolled up with herbs, spices and pesto, are lunch and dinner brilliance.
I discovered the Raw Food Institute of Australia during my spiralizer hunt and it is a treasure trove of raw food recipes and information on how to become a qualified raw food chef. The Institute was founded by Lucy Walter, a naturopath and nutritionist. It is her recipe for Zucchini Fettucine that truly won her a new fan (me!). 
If you like something a bit more fancy and intense flavoured, go for her Pesto Pasta with Nut Crumble

Also, here is a killer find. If you love raw or you just want to try it but you really don’t want to make the effort to prepare it yourself, there’s a whole section where cafes are reviewed. From Monk Bodhi Dharma in Melbourne to Bliss Organic in Adelaide, you can find a raw food joint at home or on holiday.
After playing around on the site and looking up recipes, books, kitchen utensils and cafe reviews, I finally did set my sights on the spiralizer and it is a whole lot of health-food bang for my bucks. At approx $40 it is going to create healthy lunch and dinners that can be stored in the fridge, taken to work and best of all, it’s simple enough that I don’t need a guidebook to use it. Nobody needs fidgety gadgets at mealtimes. Get one. We’ll share recipes.

One more big shout out! Love bubbles were a-poppin' in the blogosphere today as Loveface Beauty shared my skin-lovin' recipe on her Instagram.

www.therawfoodinstitute.com.au

2 comments:

  1. I've recently started becoming more interested in the raw food movement. While I can't say I'd fully commit myself to eating raw, I like the idea of it and try to eat raw fruits/veggies/seeds every day. I've been thinking about buying the spiralizer for a while now. It looks so handy to have in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely recommend it Jillian! Anything that makes it easier to prepare fast, healthy food and also to get your friends, family and workmates interested in preparing healthy food. At under $40, it's a bargain.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment!

Melbourne Lockdown 2.0 - what it's like and what it means

 Are lockdowns working? It undoubtedly works to reduce infections and yet, the impact on mental health right now and into the future is bein...