Sunday 29 March 2015

Healthy Hair, Head and Scalp


So - admission. For the past month or so I've had an itchy scalp and the dreaded D word: dandruff. I know I'm far from alone! In fact, it's pretty common for sporty or active types because sweating into your hair doesn't make for a healthy scalp and using dry shampoo instead of washing doesn't improve the situation.
So.
I tackled the issue on 3 fronts:

  1. Diet and lifestyle
  2. Hair Products
  3. Styling Habits and Utensils

DIET AND LIFESTYLE

A healthy scalp means the skin and hair follicles are not clogged with product, there is adequate protein in your diet and the vitamins and minerals required to nourish healthy skin in general. Biotin, silica, vitamin B and D are all Healthy Scalp and Hair elements. Omega 3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and essential for healthy skin, hair and nails. The typical mediterranean diet, rich in fish, fresh vegetables and fruit, whole grains and healthy fats rather than heavy on white carbohydrates and convenience foods is your best option, but also consider a supplement like Swisse Ultiboost Hair Skin Nails 

As for other lifestyle factors? Stress and lack of sleep will impact every aspect of your body, from increasing the likelihood of injuries to sallow skin, moodiness and...bad hair. Rather than get even MORE stressed about it, look at what you can change. Could you reduce some of the activities you feel obliged to do? Could you ask colleagues for assistance? Could you do a yoga class instead of working through your lunchbreak? Could you swap your 3pm jelly bean frenzy for a power walk to the nearest juice bar and get a berry smoothie instead? (Or make a batch at home and take it to work!)

HAIR PRODUCTS

I have just discovered a new range of Australian Made products.
I wanted no nasties (formaldehyde, sulphates,parabens, etc) and salon-quality results. What is especially exciting is it's AUSTRALIAN! So, go local! bhave uses raw natural bioactive keratin extracted from New Zealand sheep wool that is rich in amino acids and proteins to nourish the scalp and hair. Essentially, this binds to damage and rebuilds strength and elasticity.
Here's what you need to know:

  • Australian Owned
  • Not Tested On Animals
  • No Parabens, Sulphates, Sodium Chloride
  • Certified Organic Ingredients
  • Proven Results

I'm using the damage control rescue shampoo and conditioner as well as the scalp shampoo and since the FIRST WASH, no dandruff and no itching! It's specifically designed to control irritation and the non-toxic formulation is rich in naturally active ingredients to rebalance the scalp environment.
I'm also using the macadamia-oil enriched leave-in creme, fresh ends and riot control oil. It's called "riot control" for frizzy hair. What more could you ask for?



Find your nearest salon and read more on their Website.

Also check them out on
BhaveHair
BhaveHair

HAIR STYLING


I was saying to my Carlton class just a few days ago, I used to idolise the sleek, straight, raven black bob of a newsreader on TV as a child. I was certain that I would grow up and no longer have wild, curly, coppery brown tresses but a sleek, chic bob with a fringe. A perfectly straight, no-nonsense fringe. That is still my dream. So, of course, I am a straightener addict.

When the dandruff and irritation really started impacting on my sleep, I looked hard at both the products I'm using and the fact I've got an ancient hairdryer that only blasts super-hot air and is well beyond it's use-by. So I found a kickass replacement that is SUPER AFFORDABLE! For under $30, I found the Remington Styling Pro 2150 that has:

  • Air Curler & Waver attachment
  • 2150 watt Hair Dryer
  • 6 switch combinations: 3 heat/2 speed
  • Cool Shot to set style when you're done!

You can buy it at Harvey Norman for $27 (AU).

As for my straightener, it's still good for action and I use the salon-approved ghd. My pick is the ghd IV Styler (free delivery if you order on the ghd site!)





1 comment:

  1. Yeah for a healthy skin, diet is really important. You know for a good skin, daily in morning I do yoga and after that I used to have a full glass of Green drink made up of fruits and spinach.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment!

Melbourne Lockdown 2.0 - what it's like and what it means

 Are lockdowns working? It undoubtedly works to reduce infections and yet, the impact on mental health right now and into the future is bein...